Sunday, August 17

One week down

Well, what can i say. It has been a really tough week. I was hospitalist for the group at Howard County Hospital starting on Monday until Thursday. What that means is I am basically the person on call during the day for the group at the hospital so I get all the new consults, ER calls, and help out in the OR as first assist. Let's just say it can get pretty busy. PLUS, I didn't get home most nights until after 7 pm and once as late a midnight. Lucky for me, my mom lives right in Olney so she picks up Joe and took care of him while I was at work.


It took Joe a little time to adjust to being back at day care. He a bit clingy and whiny this week but he gradually got back into our routine. It didn't help that I wasn't seeing him at night either. Today was a rocky day too as he and I spent the day hanging out at home, but he fell off his new truck onto the pavement and faceplanted. It looks like he has roadrash but nothing serious. Somehow, with 2 doctors in the house, I could not find a tube of antibiotic ointment ANYWHERE even though I could have sworn we had some, so we went to CVS to get it. We got some funny looks, but oh well.


Ken arrived in Kuwait yesterday after a 41 hour journey from Ft. Benning which included a lot of waiting in airports, bus rides, and plane rides. The details are confidential apparently but he told me that currently, he is at Camp Buehring, Kuwait where he will be for a few more days. He finally was able to call me yesterday around 430 pm (EST) but only had 15 minutes. There are long lines to wait to use the phone and there is a daily limit of 15 minutes!!! He was able to call again today which was nice but the darn phone got cut off when it hit that limit!! Darn phone!!! He got some sleep and is eating much better than at Ft. Benning where the majority of the time he was served some canned stuff which he dubbed "dogfood". If Ken didn't eat it, that stuff must have been REALLY bad. I should be getting pictures soon so Iwill post these once I have them.
Here is a map of Kuwait for those of you interested. I think Camp Buehring is near the Iraq border but I am not totally sure.

Please keep him and the rest of the soldiers that are deployed and their families in your prayers!

1 comment:

The Beatty's said...

Hi there! We are thinking about you guys. Is there anything we can send Ken while he is away? Notes, carepackages? What about you? We will be in town at the end of October for Homecoming, want to join us? At least in the am like we did before? I will try to call soon!